Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This Is Me Being Inspirational

Life here at EWU is always about learning something new. Thing with me is I don't like people to know that I don't know how to do something. So basically I find a way to make it look like I know exactly what's going on when really I have no idea. Take for instance, getting food from the cafeteria. See my strategy is to observe what other people do and copy them, but in my own way so it looks like I know how to do it. So when I have no idea where dirty dishes go..I see someone walking with their dirty tray and I say "Oh I'm done too!" and get up to follow them to put my tray away. That's my learning something new in my own secret subtle way :)
Anyway, college is all about observing. I am a people watcher, not to sound creepy, but I like watching how people act and then I try to gain an understanding of what their life is like and what kind of person they are. But I like to try and figure out what their motives are, and honestly what kind of person they want to become. There are lots of interesting people around here. In my Women's Studies class there is a girl who sits quietly by herself reading and usually brings pop tarts to class. (Which is totally unrelated.) But she doesn't talk to anyone nor seems to want to give an effort to do so. I try to sit next to her every day so that maybe someday there can be an opportunity for me to talk to her. If she wants me to or not. As my sister says: She looked like she needed a hug. There was a time I was sitting next to her class and she abruptly brought out a notebook that looked like she was keeping a diary. Me being the nosy person I am, caught a glimpse of some of what she wrote. I will not repeat what she said since it's private to her, but I will say that the class full of girls that are primpy, and stylish, and consumed with theirselves was not something she preferred and it seemed as though she had placed a label on them. It caught me off guard, I felt a little disturbed that she could be so judgmental and in a way hurtful. But I felt more empathy for her than ever. And so began my determination to be a friend to her. She seems a quiet soul and I don't know the story of her life, but she's a person that could use a light. I want to be a light. 

There is a candle in every soul
Some brightly burning, some dark and cold
There is a spirit who brings a fire
Egnites a candle, and makes his home

Carry your candle
Run to the darkness
Seek out the helpless, confused and torn
And hold out your candle
For all to see it
Take your candle and go light your world

No comments:

Post a Comment